Tuesday, April 6, 2010

New Friend?

I met a boy.


Wait, I met a man.

No, I met a boy-man.

Hm…man-boy?

Whatever he is, I met him and I like him. Actually, I met him several months ago while I was wearing an adult diaper and sucking on a pacifier. That was a good Halloween. He’s a friend of a friend and he happened to be on their porch, helping in the handing out of candy. Quick introductions were made but like a teenage make out session, it was fast and sloppy and soon forgotten. A few weeks later he began to “poke” me on one of those social networking sites. And of course, me being me, I never end a poke war so we continued the battle for a while before an actual friend request took place. Then we began talking quite frequently and I found myself drawn to him.

So did one of my friends. She was extremely taken by him and maybe it’s the old fashioned girl in me but I try to live by the motto “Chicks before dicks.” So when he invited me to hang out with him and she asked me not to, I did the only thing I thought I could. I didn’t hang out with him. But I told her that she only had a little bit of time before I decided to make a move myself so she would have to not hesitate if she really wanted to win him over.

Well it has been almost three months since then and we’ve continued our online friendship. It’s been hard to say the least to continue making up excuses as to why I couldn’t meet him in person (he said our first meeting didn’t count) or hang out with our growing mutual group of friends if he was in attendance.

Finally, I gave in. It was a…rocky….get together at first because of his sudden conflict at work but eventually we managed to meet a local park. I brought us a couple of DQ blizzards and we slurped on them as we trekked through the hiking trails there. After a few hours, we finally broke out of the woods, discarded our long empty cups, and sat on a picnic table simply talking until it was so dark, we couldn’t see our own noses.

And…maybe it’s just me…but I felt something real. Could it be that I’m just lonely? Is it that I’m desperately grasping for something just to have something? I don’t really think so. From the second he pulled up and stepped out of his car like a prince dismounting from his gallant steed, part of me was mesmerized and awe struck in the way of a peasant, not a princess. Did I let it show? Probably. I’ve never been good at hiding my feelings of adoration. But was it awkward? Not for one moment. The conversation and witty repartee flowed like beer in an Irish pub (hey that makes up for the lack of a St. Patrick ’s Day post, right?). We joked and laughed and bantered as if we had been friends for years instead of minutes.

I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment