Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Moment of Repose

Ireland: Why do you have that random picture there?

Me: I don't know. It's abstract-esque.

Ireland: It's really random...

Me: No, it's really cool.

Ireland: No, it's really weird.

Me: Well I'm weird. And I like it.

Ireland: ....loser.


I think there comes a point in a friendship where you don't even have to pretend to be nice. I'm not saying that once this pinacle is reached that you start insulting each other endlessly and the like. No, what I'm saying there comes a point in every good relationship where you both just stop pretending. It's an unspoken occurance yet you both know it. You've become comfortable with them and finally are able to trust them enough to stay by your side even if you don't praise them every day or rain down compliments. I have a hard time getting to this place with anyone because it's a scary place. It's even scarier when you have scars and secrets. So getting past this point, to me, it feels greater than finding a twenty in the pocket of my jeans, than reaching the summit after a three hour long hike, than completing a kart-wheel in fresh spring grass, than most anything. And I can't help but smile every time she calls me a loser.

2 comments: