Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sickness

I'll make this one short and sweet. Quite sorry for being away but apparently my immune system has some unresolved and disturbing emotional issues with me. Ever since I was a young thing, I've had a problem with getting sick. Nothing so serious I became a bubble baby...well...I did have to stay in a bubble when I was a few months old for a week or two. But that's beside the point. There's no real reason I get sick so often. Apparently I'm just one of those kids, ya know?

It's like, during second grade, I missed approximately 45 days of school out of a 180 school year. That's way more than normal. Of course, even then, I was decently advanced so they couldn't justify a reason for holding me back since I was absent so many days and still had the best grades. Thank you, crappy education system. We always thought it'd get better as I got older....

We were wrong. In late December, I found out I had mono. It was actually a little surprising. I've always been a sleeper so when I started going to bed at 10pm, waking up at 8am, napping 1pm to 5pm, rinse and repeat, I didn't even notice it really. Sleep is usually my way to cope with some overwhelming stress or sadness so it's normal I go through deep sleeping phases. Then one Friday morning, well I should say afternoon since it was around 12:30pm, I awoke with a sore throat. By four, one of my tonsils became incredibly swollen and covered with those gross little white spots that I've never been able to figure out what they are. I forced my mother to take me to the doctor that evening.

I cried the whole weekend because I couldn't swallow or breathe and I was just plain miserable. Finally the test results came back and hey! I had mono. So now that it's January and I'm finally getting over the silly kissing disease, I got the sniffles. No big deal right?

Wrong. Those gosh darn sniffles turned into a sinus infection this past weekend. I had competition several hours away and instead of whining to my team members and coaches, I just sucked it up. Monday comes and I am coughing like I'm trying to give birth through my throat. I managed to drag myself to the doctor (the first time EVER by myself) and this is where I was told about the sinus infection and...

Bronchitis! Are you kidding me? I hate my immune system. Therefore, I've been in a constant state of coughing, hacking, whining, sleeping, and popping pills like they were Pez candy. It's not fun. Trust me. But I think I'm finally on the mend so I shall be posting more soon. Hopefully. If not, I've probably got pneumonia or scarlet fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment